torsdag den 17. november 2011

First glance 5th Edition Necron review.




They’re BACK!

Ah, Anyway the Necrons have finally risen from the tomb… And about a time as well!

So after finally getting the Codex, I decided to make a first glance review.

okay then… let us start with the fluff:

The Fluff.

While it is this part that I haven’t been reading so much of yet, i’m pretty sure that Fans of the old fluff is not going to like it. What do I mean by that?
Well… the Necrons have now gained personality and have enslaved their God C’tans… *Cough*

No matter how little I like the new fluff I like the concept of it, because it allows the player to add a little more persona to the army. Beforem the Necrons was pretty much the brother of Tyranids. They arrive/Wake up, They eat/ Destroyed everything they saw... and that's what they did.

However I’m sure this effect could have been achieved in a whole other way, without stomping like a maniac on the old fluff like you did Matthew ward. *sigh*

a quick look through the Interwebs I can see that I’m not the only one that thinks the new necrons fluff is not only horrible, but also freakin’ funny. I mean… If you read it through, I’m sure you’ll have a good laugh or two... well if you knew the old fluff.

Hah! Just take a look at Beast of war… At least they are having a lot of fun with the new fluff, hahaha!

Oh well… They have a lot of reasons to be happy as well. Actually on April the 1st, they made this Necron Monolith prank
You can see that one here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgPEvz3-qKg

Along with the new codex, there is actually some fluff about a Megalith. Have got to be the biggest surprise for beast of war ever... and I guess they have probably held a party or something by now to celebrate that their epic prank have actually turned to reallity... In some sort of way.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The rules and units

Enough talk about fluff! Let’s talk and compare the Codex to the old one.

Now, I would have liked Wihrs to comment on this. As a good Necron player, i'm sure he have a comment or 2 about the new codex, but we'll see if we can get him here to the Blog and perhaps make a full review of the new Necron Codex… But for now I'll just throw my thoughts and comments in the box, by taking the two Codecies and compared them.

As I’m sure you are already aware of, the necron warriors have been Nerfed.  They now have a  4+ Armor save instead of 3+. Their WBB role (Now named Reanimation Protocols) are now on 5+ instead of 4+. However, they still get to make their WBB rolls if hit with Power weapons or MC CC attacks. (And they have had their point cost lowered)

This somehow made me kind of happy. I’ve always been looking at the Necron codex and tried to figure out if I should start them or not, but the fact that their basic statline was pretty much the same as a Space marine, made me keep away. I have never wished to play an army based on a 3+ Armor save.

- “Speak for yourself! Give me my 3+ armor save back and Phase out, and I’ll be rolling!”

I’m pretty sure a lot of people would say ^ that to me, but apart from them, I like an army that is more based on tactics than Strength and durability. (I’m looking at you 3+ armour save)

You want your 4+ WBB back again? Then take a Necron Overlord and put some Necron lords w/ ress orb into your units.

For those who don’t know what I’m talking about, the Necron lords is a kind of upgrade, while not actually being an upgrade. You see, for each Necron Overlord you have in the army you may take a Royal Court. That means you can take some Necron lords or Crypteks (Which are more specialized than lords) and put them into your units as a kind of sergeant. You can take them in Necron warrior, Immortal, Lychguards or Deathmarks units.
I like the idea… While I at the same time think it is a little weird. Probably because I’m so used to the Necron Lord being an HQ and that he were the Supreme commander (beneath the C’tans of course)

Anyway, about the new vehicles… I don’t know. They are all AV11 all the way round, but in addition, they have AV13 on the front and sides (because of some quantum shield), until something makes a penetrating hit on them… And they’ll become 11 all around again. I like this concept a lot, but in some way… I think they should have kept that rule for the day they release the new Tau… Oh well…

Anyway I’m not going to be talking about everything in their Codex right, so I guess I’ll just round of with the Monolith.

The Monolith is weaker in the sense that it can now have crew shaken AND it doesn’t remove bonuses for armor penetration rolls (Happy days for MCs). But now it is able to teleport a single unit through its portal every turn. You have anything in reserve you would like to get out? Feel free to pick a unit and throw it through portal… No reserve rolls necessary. At first I saw a lot of people on forums building tactics about how they would teleport a unit through the gate and then charge. But remember everyone! When they get out of the Portal/Disembark, it counts as if the vehicle had moved at combat speed. But regardless, I’m excited about the new Monoliths and I am very curious to see how many people will field them after their durability nerf.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Overall

Enough about the units and rules… What do I think all in all?

I think this is the best Codex that Matt ward have written so far. They don’t look as “Over powered” as his other armies. But, there is so many things in the codex that can be understood in multiple ways.

Here is an example
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nm7vvEvzeNI&feature=channel_video_title

And there is more than what he mentions in the video.
The Codex is so poorly worded that it... well, faster than you can say necron, will provide you with one of those sweet headaches.  The codex have barely been released and it already begs for an FAQ.

*sigh*

But… All in all, I don’t feel bad starting a necron army.
I will show some of my progress of the army as it evolves on this blog, so keep an eye on the blog for it, as it will go really slowly.
But for now, Happy wargaming to everyone out there.

~ Bot

Ingen kommentarer:

Send en kommentar